MoveOn.org has announced a pre-Inauguration rally featuring NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio, Reverend Al Sharpton, Mark Ruffalo, Michael Moore, Shailene Woodley, Rosie Perez, and Alec Baldwin, other elected officials, community organizations, and thousands of New Yorkers who will gather outside of Trump International Hotel & Tower near Columbus Circle at 6:00 pm on Thursday, January 19 to stand united and send a message to the President-elect and Congress that New York will protect the rights of people and the environment.
They have explained that the purpose of the rally is to make it clear to the incoming President and Congress that New Yorkers will continue to work to make real progress on important issues such as healthcare, climate change, social justice and immigrant rights. New York City and cities across the country are committed to working in solidarity with people fighting to advance the causes of racial, social, environmental and economic justice.
You can join the Facebook event here.
A new report from the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) shows that 18 million people nationally would become uninsured in 2018. According to the report, the number of uninsured would grow to 27 million after the repeal of Medicaid expansion and the subsidies used to purchase coverage through the Marketplace go into effect. The report estimates that 32 million people would become uninsured by 2026.
The cost of insurance in the individual market would also skyrocket. The report estimates that premiums in the non-group insurance market would increase by 20 to 25 percent in the first new plan year compared to what they would have if the ACA had remained in place as it is today. The CBO estimates that this increase would reach 50 percent after the elimination of Medicaid expansion and Marketplace subsidies and then double by 2026.
Health Care is Under Attack in Congress! It’s “all hands on deck” BIG time!
Join HCFANY at our upcoming annual meeting next Monday, January 23 from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 1199 SEIU, 155 Washington Street, in Albany. Please register here.
Highlights will include:
- Special keynote speaker: Dr. David Sandman, President and CEO, NYS Health Foundation
- Presentation of HCFANY’s Annual “Consumer Health Care Champion” Award to Assmblymember Crystal Peoples-Stokes. AM Peoples-Stokes has been a key leader for health care justice, serving on both the Health and Insurance Committees, and within the leadership of the legislature’s Black, Puerto Rican, Hispanic, and Asian Caucus.
Important topics to be discussed:
- The immediate fights over the future of the ACA and reproductive health care
- The coming fights over Medicare, Medicaid, and Child Health Plus
- Governor Cuomo’s proposed 2017-18 budget
- HCFANY’s 2017 policy agenda for New York
- New York’s continued push toward health system transformation: DSRIP, SHIP, PHIP, and value-based payment
Any questions? Contact Taylor Frazier at email@example.com ot 212.614.5541
More info at www.hcfany.org
Follow up on blog posted December 30, 2016.
Senator Bernard Sanders (I-VT), Senate Minority Leader, Charles E. Schumer (NY), and House Minority Leader, Nancy Pelosi (CA) have called for a national day of action titled, “Our First Stand: Save Health Care,” this Sunday, January 15 to oppose any cuts to health care, and particularly Medicare and Medicaid.
Events are taking place in the following locations in New York State:
- Manhattan (Upper West Side), 12:30 PM
- Manhattan (Washington Heights), 1:30 PM
- Manhattan (Financial District), 11:30 AM
- Bronx, 11:00 AM
- Westbury (Long Island) 12:30 PM
Please follow the links to register.