Just a quick note to let you know that due to a larger than expected number of registrations, the location for tomorrow’s Capital District/Northern NY outreach and enrollment summit has been changed. The new location will be:
155 Washington Avenue, between Dove and Lark, Albany, NY
(There is only street parking at this location)
All other details remain the same. The event will still be taking place this Friday, September 20th from 10 am to 1 pm. Anybody who has already registered for the event should have gotten a notice of the location change emailed to them already. If anyone has any questions about the event or the new location, please contact the event coordinators at Sara.Couch@1199funds.org or
CNNMoney will be hosting a Facebook live chat THIS Friday, September 20th, to answer questions about the Affordable Care Act and to help Americans understand what it means for them.
HCFANY’s own Elisabeth Benjamin, Vice President of Health Initiatives at the Community Service Society, will be on the panel along with Judy Solomon, Vice President for Health Policy at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities and Timothy Jost, health policy law professor at Washington & Lee University School of Law.
This is your chance to log on and ask those burning ACA questions!
The chat will take place between 2:30pm – 3:30 pm, so if you have time on Friday afternoon be sure to stop by. For more information, visit the CNN Money event page by clicking here: https://www.facebook.com/events/401576496631341/
We hope to see you there!
Registration for the statewide regional enrollment summits for the NY State of Health insurance marketplace is now open! This is a joint effort between the NY State of Health team and various community groups (including HCFANY) to get information out on the new insurance marketplace that will be opening on October 1, to hear about best practices for enrollment, and to plan outreach on a regional level.
These events are free to attend and registration will be on a first-come-first-serve basis. Health advocacy groups, navigators, community groups, hospitals and health care institutions, unions, brokers, health plans and small business representatives are encouraged to register to attend the summit in your local area. We hope to see you there!
*PLEASE NOTE THERE IS A NEW LOCATION FOR THE SEPTEMBER 20TH EVENT IN ALBANY – 1199 SEIU, 155 WASHINGTON AVE (BETWEEN LARK AND DOVE), ALBANY, NY
Today’s post comes to us from guest bloggers Bob Cohen and Stephen Greenberg of Citizen Action of New York
We’re nearly a month away from the beginning of enrollment in the New York health insurance exchange and we couldn’t be more excited about the potential we have to cover over a million more New Yorkers! The exchange – recently named “NY State of Health”- will be enrolling individuals and small businesses beginning on October 1st. HCFANY and other stakeholder groups across the state are teaming up with the Exchange to hold regional events to make sure that as many New Yorkers as possible know about this critical opportunity to get affordable health coverage.
We’re facing a big challenge: there are currently over 2 million New Yorkers without coverage; most can benefit from the plans being offered by NY State of Health (including Medicaid and other public programs) – and they all need to know about it. In order to reach this goal, the state has hired navigators to assist people with the enrollment process. However, if community groups and other stakeholders – from hospitals to health plans to unions – all do their part to get the word out, we have a much better chance of succeeding!
We encourage everyone to attend the appropriate summit for your region of the state, so we can share our best outreach and enrollment practices and coordinate our efforts. (Navigators are especially encouraged to attend!)
Here is a listing of dates and regions where the summits are being held.
- September 16 – Buffalo: (1pm – 4pm) 1199SEIU, 2421 Main Street, Buffalo NY, 14214. To register, contact Bill Covington at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (716) 995-3705
- September 16 – Brooklyn/Queens/Staten Island (NYC): (1pm – 4pm) 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds, 25 Elm Place, Brooklyn, NY 11201. To register, contact Marcelle Dinall at Marcelle.Dinall@1199funds.org or call (646) 473-8485
- September 18 – Utica/Syracuse: (1pm – 4pm) 1199SEIU Headquarters, 250 South Clinton Street, Syracuse, NY, 13202. To register, contact Victoria Coit at (315) 706-9548 or Victoria.Coit@1199funds.org
- September 20 – Capital District/Northern NY: (10am – 1pm) SUNY, Milne Hall, Room 200, 135 Western Avenue, Albany, NY. 1199 SEIU, 155 Washington Ave (between Lark and Dove), Albany, NY Click here to register.
- September 23 – Nassau/Suffolk (Long Island): (10 am – 1 pm) 1199 SEIU Headquarters, 100 Duffy Avenue, Suite 3W, Hicksville, NY, 11801. To register, contact Luis Valenzuela at Luis.Valenzuela@1199funds.org
- September 23 – Bronx/Manhattan (NYC): (2pm – 5pm) GNYHA, 555 West 57th Street, 15th Floor Conference Center, New York, NY 10019. To register, contact Karina Prendergast at email@example.com or call (212) 258-5356.
- September 24 – Rochester: (1pm – 4pm) Memorial Art Gallery (MAG), 500 University Ave, Rochester, NY 14607. To register, contact Kim Wynn at (585) 613-7662 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 25 – Mid-Hudson: (1pm – 4pm) Crowne Plaza, 3 Executive Blvd., Suffern, New York 10901. To register, contact Marisel Stuck at (914) 372-2251 or Marisel.Stuck@hcheq.org
Edited for updates on 9/6/13