Today, the Affordable Care Act turns five years old! Our friends at Community Catalyst put together 5 reasons to celebrate the ACA (see above). Here are 5 more reasons New Yorkers can celebrate:
- More than 2.1 million New Yorkers have enrolled in affordable, quality health plans through the NY State of Health Marketplace since it launched in October 2013.
- New York’s uninsured rate seems to be dropping – the most recent Gallup poll puts our state’s uninsurance rate at 10.2% for 2014, which is a 2.5% drop from the 2013 rate of 12.6%.
- Overall, New Yorkers seem happy with their NY State of Health coverage. Ninety-two percent of New Yorkers reported being satisfied with their coverage in a survey by the NYS Health Foundation.
- Starting in 2016, New Yorkers earning under 200% of the Federal Poverty Level will have access to more affordable coverage under New York’s new Basic Health Program, an ACA program that New York legislators authorized in last year’s state budget.
- New Yorkers like Engracia got free, in-person, unbiased help to enroll in a quality, affordable health plan thanks to New York’s in-person assistor/Navigator program. Read more enrollment success stories in our report: The ACA is Working: New Yorkers Tell Their Stories.
You can follow the conversation on social media today and see more reasons to celebrate at #BetterwithObamacare.
What are your 5 reasons to celebrate the ACA?