The Fight for Our Health Care Continues!
Posted May, 9 2017 by Taylor Frazier
Last Thursday, the House of Representatives passed the American Health Care Act (AHCA). If the AHCA were to become law, 2.7 New Yorkers would lose their health insurance, Medicaid would be cut by more than $800 billion, and protections for people with pre-existing conditions would be severely weakened. Seven of New York State’s nine Republican Representatives voted in favor of the bill; two Republicans voted against it; and all 18 Democrats voted against it. The bill is now in the Senate for further consideration and revision.
However, the conversation on the AHCA and what it will mean for New Yorkers is not over! Members of Congress left for recess shortly after the vote and came home to face constituents, many of whom were dismayed by the passage of the devastating legislation.
In the days following the vote, town halls took place in the districts of Representatives King, Faso, Stefanik and Reed, who all voted in favor of the AHCA. Representatives King and Faso did not attend the town halls in their districts, and Representatives Collins, Tenney, and Zeldin, who also voted in favor of the bill, did not host town halls. This video from the town hall in Representative Reed’s district provides some insight into how some constituents are feeling about the AHCA and how they think it would affect their care.
It is not too late to call your Representatives and tell them how you feel about the AHCA and about their votes. You can call your Representatives in their districts using the numbers listed here:
Voted Against the AHCA (Thank you!!)
- Congressman Dan Donovan
- Brooklyn Office (718) 630-5277
- Staten Island Office (718) 351-1062
- Congressman John Katko
- Auburn/Lyons Offices (315) 253-4068
- Oswego/Syracuse Offices (315) 423-5657
Voted for the AHCA (Start defending the health of constituents over tax cuts!)
- Congressman Pete King
- Massapequa Office (516) 541-6602
- Congressman Tom Reed
- Corning Office (607) 654-7566
- Geneva Office (315) 759-5229
- Ithaca Office (607) 222-2027
- Jamestown Office (716) 708-6369
- Olean Office (716) 806-1069
- Congresswoman Elise Stefanik
- Glens Falls Office (518) 743-0964
- Plattsburgh Office (518) 561-2324
- Watertown Office (315) 782-1291
- Congresswoman Claudia Tenney
- Binghamton Office (607) 376-6002
- New Hartford Office (315) 732-0713
- Congressman Lee Zeldin
- Patchogue Office (631) 289-1097
- East End Office (631) 209-4235