While we haven’t seen all the fine print, HCFANY is delighted to report that this year’s budget deal includes important protections for New York’s health insurance consumers. The new budget deal includes:
- Co-premium assistance for people between 138-150% of poverty (people with children that are currently eligible for Family Health Plus ). Those who enroll in the Exchange with Silver-level plans will pay no premiums. This measure is NOT conditional on federal financial participation.
- Protection for people who currently have out-of-network coverage in the individual market. These consumers will have the option to pay for a Platinum-level plan on the Exchange with an out-of-network rider and be “risk pooled” with the rest of the State’s individual market.
- A requirement for SDOH to create a workgroup to study whether New York should adopt a Basic Health Plan
- Fair consumer protections on the State’s new Navigator program
- Funding for consumer assistance for New York’s health insurance consumers through Community Health Advocates
- Still waiting details on Medicaid budget, but it looks like most optional benefits have been saved….
A special thanks to everyone who added their names to our sign-on letter, called the Governor’s office, and worked hard to get these important consumer protections. These budget victories would not be possible without you!!!
Stay tuned for more on the budget!